Brethren, We Have Met to Worship
Words by George Atkins, 1819
Tune: HOLY MANNA by William Moore, 1825
Key signature: G major (1 sharp)
1. Brethren, we have met to worship And adore the Lord our God; Will you pray with all your power, While we try to preach the Word? All is vain unless the Spirit Of the Holy One comes down; Brethren, pray, and holy manna Will be showered all around.
2. Brethren, see poor sinners round you Slumb’ring on the brink of woe; Death is coming, hell is moving— Can you bear to let them go? See our fathers and our mothers, And our children sinking down; Brethren, pray, and holy manna Will be showered all around.
3. Sisters, will you join and help us? Moses’ sister aided him; Will you help the trembling mourners Who are struggling hard with sin? Tell them all about the Savior— Tell them that He will be found; Sisters, pray, and holy manna Will be showered all around.
4. Is there here a trembling jailer, Seeking grace, and filled with fears? Is there here a weeping Mary, Pouring forth a flood of tears? Brethren, join your cries to help them; Sisters, let your prayers abound; Pray O pray that holy manna May be scattered all around.
5. Let us love our God supremely, Let us love each other, too; Let us love and pray for sinners, Till our God makes all things new. Then He’ll call us home to Heaven, At His table we’ll sit down; Christ will gird Himself and serve us With sweet manna all around.