Grace! ’Tis a Charming Sound
Words by Philip Doddridge (1702-1751): Stanza 1 and 3; Augustus M. Toplady (1740-1778): stanzas 2, 4, and 5.
Tune: SILVER STREET by Ira D. Sankey (1840-1908)
Key signature: D major (2 sharps)
Meter: 22.214.171.124.(S.M.) with Refrain
1. Grace, ’tis a charming sound, Harmonious to the ear; Heav’n with the echo shall resound, And all the earth shall hear.
Saved by grace alone! This is all my plea: Jesus died for all mankind, And Jesus died for me.
2. ’Twas grace that wrote my name In life’s eternal book; ’Twas grace that gave me to the Lamb, Who all my sorrows took.
3. Grace taught my wand’ring feet To tread the heav’nly road, And new supplies each hour I meet, While pressing on to God.
4. Grace taught my soul to pray And made mine eyes o’erflow; ’Twas grace which kept me to this day, And will not let me go.
5. O let Thy grace inspire My soul with strength divine: May all my pow’rs to Thee aspire, And all my days be Thine.