I Am Praying for You
Words by Samuel O’Malley Gore Cluff, 1860
Tune by Ira David Sankey, 1874
Key signature: G major (1 sharp)
Meter: 220.127.116.11 with refrain
1. I have a Savior, He’s pleading in glory, A dear, loving Savior though earth-friends be few; And now He is watching in tenderness o’er me, But oh, that my Savior were your Savior too!
Refrain: For you I am praying, For you I am praying For you I am praying, I’m praying for you.
2. I have a Father; to me He has given, A hope for eternity, blessed and true; And soon will He call me to meet Him in heaven, But oh, that He’d let me bring you with me too!
3. I have a robe; ’tis resplendent in whiteness, Awaiting in glory my wondering view; Oh, when I receive it all shining in brightness, Dear friend, could I see you receiving one too!
4. When He has found you, tell others the story, That my loving Savior is your Savior, too; Then pray that your Savior may bring them to glory, And prayer will be answered— ’twas answered for you!
5. Speak of that Savior, that Father in heaven, That harp, crown, and robe which are waiting for you— That peace you possess, and that rest to be given, Still praying that Jesus may save them with you.