Jesus Shall Reign
Words by Isaac Watts (1674-1748), 1719, from Psalm 72
Tune: DUKE STREET by John Hatton (c. 1710-1793), 1793
Key signature: E flat major (3 flats)
Organ Performance at Hymns Without Words
1. Jesus shall reign where’er the sun Does his successive journeys run; His kingdom spread from shore to shore, Till moons shall wax and wane no more.
2. From north to south the princes meet To pay their homage at His feet; While western empires own their Lord, And savage tribes attend His word.
3. To Him shall endless prayer be made, And endless praises crown His head; His name like sweet perfume shall rise With ev’ry morning sacrifice.
4. People and realms of ev’ry tongue Dwell on His love with sweetest song, And infant voices shall proclaim Their early blessing on His name.
5. Let ev’ry creature rise and bring Honor and glory to our King; Angels descend with songs again, And earth repeat the loud “Amen!”