Spirit of God, Descend upon My Heart
Words by George Croly (1780-1860), 1854
Tune: MORECAMBE by Frederick C. Atkinson (1841-1897), 1870
Key signature: C major (no sharps or flats)
1. Spirit of God, descend upon my heart; Wean it from earth; through all its pulses move. Stoop to my weakness, mighty as Thou art, And make me love Thee as I ought to love.
2. I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies, No sudden rending of the veil of clay, No angel visitant, no opening skies; But take the dimness of my soul away.
3. Hast Thou not bid me love Thee, God and King? All, all Thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind. I see Thy cross— there teach my heart to cling: O let me seek Thee, and, O let me find!
4. Teach me to feel that Thou art always nigh; Teach me the struggles of the soul to bear, To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh; Teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.
5. Teach me to love Thee as Thine angels love, One holy passion filling all my frame; The baptism of the heaven-descended Dove, My heart an altar, and Thy love the flame.