Words by W. D. Cornell, 19th Century
Tune: WONDERFUL PEACE by W. G. Cooper, 19th Century
Key signature: A flat major (4 flats)
Meter: 220.127.116.11. with Refrain
1. Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm; In celestial-like strains it unceasingly falls O’er my soul like an infinite calm.
Refrain: Peace, peace, wonderful peace, Coming down from the Father above! Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray In fathomless billows of love!
2. What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace, Buried deep in the heart of my soul, So secure that no power can mine it away, While the years of eternity roll!
3. I am resting tonight in this wonderful peace, Resting sweetly in Jesus’ control; For I’m kept from all danger by night and by day, And His glory is flooding my soul!
4. And think when I rise to that city of peace, Where the Author of peace I shall see, That strain of the song which the ransomed will sing In that heavenly kingdom will be:
5. O soul, are you here without comfort and rest, Marching down the rough pathway of time? Make Jesus your friend ere the shadows grow dark; O, accept this sweet peace so sublime!