Children of the Heav’nly Father
Words by Carolina S. Berg (1832-1906), translated by Ernst W. Olson (1870-1958)
Tune: TRYGGARE KAN INGEN VARA (Traditional Swedish Melody)
Key signature: E flat major (3 flats)
1. Children of the Heav’nly Father Safely in His bosom gather; Nestling bird nor star in heaven Such a refuge e’er was given.
2. God His own doth tend and nourish; In His holy courts they flourish. Like a father kind He spares them, In His loving arms He bears them.
3. Neither life nor death can ever From the Lord His children sever; For His love and deep compassion Comfort them in tribulation.
4. Little flock, to joy then yield thee! Jacob’s God will ever shield three; Rest secure with this Defender, At His will all foes surrender.
5. What He takes or what He gives us Shows the Father’s love so precious; We may trust His purpose wholly— ’Tis His children’s welfare solely.