God Moves in a Mysterious Way
Words by William Cowper (1731-1800), 1774
Tune: DUNDEE from Thomas Ravenscroft's (1592-1635) "Psalmes," 1621
Key signature: E flat major (3 flats)
Organ Performance at Hymns Without Words
1. God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform; He plants His footsteps in the sea, And rides upon the storm.
2. You fearful saints, fresh courage take; The clouds you so much dread Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head.
3. Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, But trust Him for His grace; Behind a frowning providence He hides a smiling face.
4. His purposes will ripen fast, Unfolding every hour: The bud may have a bitter taste, But sweet will be the flower.
5. Blind unbelief is sure to err, And scan His work in vain: God is His own interpreter, And He will make it plain.