Must Jesus Bear the Cross Alone
Words by Thomas Shepherd (1665-1739), 1693; verse 2: Unknown; verse 3: George N. Allen (1812-1877), 1844; verses 4-5: Henry W. Beecher (1855)
Tune: MAITLAND by George N. Allen (1812-1877), 1844
Key signature: A flat major (4 flats)
1. Must Jesus bear the cross alone, And all the world go free? No, there’s a cross for everyone, And there’s a cross for me.
2. How happy are the saints above, Who once went sorr’wing here! But now they taste unmingled love, And joy without a tear.
3. The consecrated cross I’ll bear Till death shall set me free; And then go home my crown to wear, For there’s a crown for me.
4. Upon the crystal pavement down At Jesus’ pierced feet, Joyful I’ll cast my golden crown And His dear Name repeat.
5. O precious cross! O glorious crown! O resurrection day! Ye angels, from the stars comes down And bears my soul away.
[Alternate] 5. O precious cross! O glorious crown! O resurrection day! When Christ the Lord from heav’n comes down And bears my soul away.