We Have an Anchor
Words by Priscilla J. Owens
Tune: WE HAVE AN ANCHOR by William J. Kirkpatrick (1838-1921)
Key signature: F major (1 flat)
Organ Performance at Hymns Without Words
1. Will your anchor hold in the storms of life, When the clouds unfold their wings of strife? When the strong tides lift and can cables strain, Will your anchor drift, or firm remain?
Refrain: We have an anchor that keeps the soul Steadfast and sure while the billows roll, Fastened to the Rock which cannot move, Grounded firm and deep in the Savior’s love.
2. It is safely moored, ’twill the storm withstand, For ’tis well secured by the Savior’s hand; And the cables, passed from His heart to mine, Can defy that blast, thro’ strength divine.
3. It will firmly hold in the straits of fear, When the breakers have told that reef is near; Tho’ the tempest rave and the wild winds blow, Not an angry wave shall bark o’erflow.
4. It will surely hold in the floods of death, When the waters cold chill latest breath; On the rising tide it the never fail, While our hopes abide within the Veil.
5. When our eyes behold thro’ the gath’ring night The city of gold, our harbor bright, We shall anchor fast by the heav’nly shore, With the storms all past forevermore.