On Jordan’s Stormy Banks I Stand
Words by Samuel Stennett (1727-1795), 1787.
Tune: PROMISED LAND, an American folk hymn arranged by Rigdon M. McIntosh (1836-1899), 1895.
Key signature: F major (1 flat)
Meter: 184.108.40.206.(C.M.) with Refrain
1. On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand, And cast a wishful eye To Canaan’s fair and happy land, Where my possessions lie.
Refrain: I am bound for the promised land; Oh, who will come and go with me? I am bound for the promised land.
2. All o’er those wide, extended plains Shines one eternal day; There God the Son, forever reigns, And scatters night away.
3. When shall I reach that happy place, And be forever blest? When shall I see my Father’s face, And in His bosom rest?
4. Oh, the transporting, rapturous scene That rises to my sight! Sweet fields arrayed in living green, And rivers of delight!
5. No chilling winds or poisonous breath Can reach that healthful shore; Sickness and sorrow, pain and death, Are felt and feared no more.